13.12.2008

DHL to cut 9,500 U.S. jobs

I mentioned how I am unlucky in one of my previous posts. While I was expecting to be hired and work for DHL, the damn global financial crisis popped up. I was mistaken., even though I pointed out in my research (which I will talk about it later) that the logistics sector was not affected by the previous financial crisis in all over the world,

According to CNN report, Global delivery company DHL announced Monday that it was cutting 9,500 jobs as it discontinues air and ground operations within the United States.



"DHL said its DHL Express unit will continue to operate between the United States and other nations. But the company said it was dropping "domestic-only" air and ground services within the United States by Jan. 30 "to minimize future uncertainties." .DHL spokespersons said the cuts would take place nationwide and will not be concentrated in any one location.

"We see [a] significant shortfall in the U.S. part of our express business due to the fact that the economy has weakened deeply," said Frank Appel, chief executive of DHL's parent company Deutsche Post World Net. "We have taken a massive action in the U.S."

The company also said it was shutting down all ground hubs and reducing the number of its U.S. stations to 103 from 412.

DHL said it was making the cuts to improve profitability and "to prepare the company for the economic challenges ahead."

The company said this latest action would add $1.9 billion to its restructuring costs, for a total of $3.8 billion over two years, most of it during 2008. The company said the cuts would reduce the annual operating costs of DHL's U.S. unit to less than $1 billion, from its current cost of $5.4 billion."

The detailed news is here;
http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/10/news/companies/dhl/index.htm?postversion=2008111015


Up to now, there is no negative news about DHL Turkey and job cuts in Turkey, so I am still hoping to get the job. All I have is “Hope” right now and I know that “Hope” did not kill Barack Obama.

Hiç yorum yok: